Semiotics definitely play a role in how women are perceived in the media. They are looked at as symbols, as things, and not as people. Reducing a human being to become a symbol is the first way acts of violence against women begin. You're not hurting a person; you're hurting a thing.
It is not fair game to Photoshop a woman to make her the "ideal" size and weight. As stated in the video, even Cindy Crawford wishes she looked like "Cindy Crawford." These models, these women who are seen as perfect, are Photoshopped beyond recognition sometimes. It gives real women a tough time feeling beautiful when faced with constant images of flawless beauty.
I agree with Jean that this is a public health problem that should be regulated. Eating disorders and suicide are big reasons to regulate this issue.
As a media consumer and producer, I do do things to combat these perceptions. I regularly post photos of myself on Facebook without makeup on, without editing the photos, and without hiding my "womanly" body. Another thing we can do is speak out, like Jean, about this epidemic. Something has to change.
No comments:
Post a Comment